Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sometimes I Hate Computers

Wednesday night I played in a match in the Chicago Industrial Chess League where I thought I had successfully refuted my opponent's novel opening strategy. As I played, I was thinking about the instructional value of the game and the interesting post I would write for this blog. When I got home and ran the game through Fritz, I was sadly surprised to find that there was a big hole in my refutation. Moreover, the cute little tactic I found to reach an ending with an extra pawn was much less impressive given that I didn't find the fairly obvious tactic to win a bishop and rip the game wide open.

I decided to post the game anyway figuring its instructional value is the warning not to be overly confident that you have seen all there is to see in a position.

No comments:

Post a Comment